Saturday, May 5, 2012

More Nesting birds from Southern Ohio!


I went with a friend to his 75 acre property in Hocking County.  It's a great piece of land with hardwoods, pine stands, fields of scruffy mixed stuff and a couple ponds.  As you could image, it was bird haven!  We just show up, and we hear a Pine Warbler singing, oh and a Black-and-White Warbler.  The Pine was so wonderful, and not the slightest bit shy.

Click on any photo to see a bigger copy.

Pine Warbler



Black-and-White Warbler


Next we went to a little ravine like area with a flowing  creek through it.  I heard Bee Buzz Buzz.  My heart stops and I get really excited.  Unfortunately it was not what I so hoped for.  This area was loaded with birds.  A Hooded and a Kentucky were to be found here, but these guys do not like their photo taken.  They are on the top of my target list because of this.  Here are two photos that I really shouldn't have even bothered processing, but I do love them so...

Kentucky


Hooded


Took a break to eat lunch.  Thanks to my wife who made up some awesome home-made barbeque sauce and chicken!  After lunch we tried again at those two but gave up.  Off to the ponds!  This is just a awesome area.  I wish I had taken a few environment photos, but did not.  I'll have to do that next time down.  After seeing a Spotted Sandpiper at the pond we searched out more song birds.  We found them!  Seeking a b-list target bird, Yellow-breasted Chat we stopped and were surrounded by White-eyed Vireo, Blue-wing Warbler, Common Yellothroat, and Indigo Bunting.  I didn't get photos of the Vireo or Blue-wing, but I got the others.



Yellow-breasted Chat





Common Yellowthroat


Indigo Bunting


One of the treats of the day was to see this Female Indigo Bunting.  I can't remember seeing one before.  I'm sure I have, but it is a rare sighting.  She is a beauty!



By now it was getting late.  What a wonderful time shooting birds.  I was really thursty and my water supply had run out, so back to the truck we went.  We took the long way around. As we got back to the truck we heard and then saw (wonderful looks) 2 Great crested Flycatchers.  I so wanted a picture of them, but it was not meant to be.

Onward  home.  Over all I didn't get a lot of photos, but some of the ones I did get, turned out pretty nice.  Thanks Greg for sharing this awesome place with me.  I can't wait to go again.

Thanks for looking!
Bruce






No comments:

Post a Comment