Sunday, April 29, 2012

Backyard using a flash

I wanted to play around with using flash as primary light. I feel natural light is way better, but if there is not enough of it, what do you do. So, yesterday afternoon, I put up my chair blind in front of my feeders. In order to get a decent shutter speed (without the flash) I needed at least 800 or maybe even 1000 ISO. With the 40D, this can work at times, but often comes out a little too noisy for birds. A lot of times if the light is as bad as it was last night, I would not have even tried to shoot. But, living in Ohio, I need to work on a solution for the more than not ideal lighting. Interestingly enough as I look though the photos, I did get some good results with no flash and ISO 800, but I also set the F-stop at 5.6. This barely got me 1/200 to 1/250. I usually consider 1/200 as the minimum for decent shots. Anything less does not normally come out, even on a tripod. I also noticed I must have turned on the flash without turning down the ISO, so I have a couple at ISO 800 with flash. I also took a few with few at ISO 400 and 200.
The bright yellow on the Goldfinches really looks plastered to me. I actually got better results than I expected…


The females actually came out better.  They're color is a little darker and the flash didn't was them out as much.


Finally a chickadee to land on my perch.  They are so quick.  Usually they come in straight to the feeder, grab a seed and leave.  This stopped on the perch, just for a second.


If you put up feeders you are going to get House Sparrows.  They are better looking than I like to give them credit for!


Thanks for looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment